POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Irony : Re: Irony Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:17:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irony
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 24 Apr 2008 11:02:26
Message: <4810a102$1@news.povray.org>

4810924a@news.povray.org...

>  The credit may be unjustified, but is denial of the negative things
> wrong?
> From a purely logical point of view it's true: Modern people are *not*
> responsible of what their ancestors did 200 years ago. Thus how can it be
> wrong to deny any responsibility?

The usual situation is the following:
The ancestors of Group A do bad stuff to the ancestors of Group B.
X years later, Group B still *** suffers *** from the crime while Group A
still *** benefits *** from it (*)

Now obviously people in Group A are innocent and are not responsible. But
there's still a pending debt to pay to contemporary Group B and the only
people who can pay it are Group A, who are, after all, living off the
interest of grandpa's crimes. If you're from Group B, hearing Group A say
"Well, I don't care" doesn't really cut it.

(*) The French town of Nantes is, according to polls, the nicest city in the
country. Should we forget that its current prosperity was inherited from the
17-18th centuries when being the slave trade capital turned Nanted into a
large, wealthy city? Likewise, some of the corporations (banks,
industries..) that provided the funds for colonization in the 19th century
are still in operation today and wealthy as ever. People die, but capital
rolls on.

G.